Relays allow video from one layer, viewport or mix to be sent to other layers as a source on the same machine.
To access relays, select the relay icon in the Source of the desired layer:
Relay Select is an integer pin which is populated based on how many relay sources are present on the machine.
The order of the Relay select pin is:
- 0 – Disabled
- Layers – increasing by mix and layer number. (Mix 1: Layer1 then Mix1: Layer2 etc.)
Relays are located after the media player and effects, but before colour geometry and the layer level in the render chain. Meaning a relay will convey clip information and effects but ignore colour, geometry and layer level.
Common uses for Relays:
- Adding Effects to a Layer
- On Layer 1, leave the level down and play a clip
- On Layer 2, set the Layer source to relay from Layer 1 and put the level up.
- Use Layer 1’s media select and effects
- Use Layer 2’s Geometry, colour, level and effects.
- Sending a whole mix to a Pixelmapping mix
- Start 2 Mixes, using one to output to the Pixelmapper only and the other outputting video to screen
- Set Layer 1 on the Pixelmapper mixes to relay from Mix the Mix Master of the output mix.
- Pixelmapper will now exactly follow the output and corrections can be applied to pixel mapper (Geometry, Colour, Level etc.)
- Multiple Inputs into SHAPE
- Patch SHAPE
- Navigate to the Viewports page of Zookeeper and click the SHAPE viewport
- Inputs 2-8 of SHAPE are relays and can be changed in real time.